Supplements Diabetics Should Take
If you have diabetes, you may have seen a lot of expensive supplements claiming that they have all of the vitamins and minerals you need to combat this disease. However, if you read the labels, you’ll see that most of them contain the exact same things that you’d find in a regular multi-vitamin. Instead of buying expensive multi-vitamins, look for these supplements that have proven track records.
• Vitamin D. A lot of people actually don’t get the recommended amount of Vitamin D because there’s not a lot of it in foods, and while the skin can make Vitamin D from sunlight, many people aren’t outdoors enough for it to do much good. Vitamin D has been shown to help control blood sugar levels, which is vital for a diabetic.
• Cinnamon. While studies haven’t proven anything conclusive quite yet, it’s very likely that cinnamon helps some people control their blood sugars. Unsweetened cinnamon can be added to foods or even coffee to give them extra flavoring, plus cinnamon capsules can be taken, too.
• Magnesium. Diabetics often don’t get enough magnesium, and a deficiency in magnesium may be connected to insulin insensitivity. A supplement can be very helpful, although it’s important to make sure you don’t take too much magnesium as it can lead to an upset stomach.
• Chromium. Taking a chromium supplement can help reduce high blood sugar levels. While chromium can be found in a number of fruits, meat, fish, and vegetables, it can also be taken as a supplement.
• Ginseng. While more studies are needed, clinical trials have shown that ginseng can help reduce post-meal blood sugar spikes. Those with insomnia or nervousness, however, may want to avoid ginseng because it can affect these conditions.
You may also want to start taking a supplement that contains graviola. Research has shown that a graviola supplement may be able to provide you with a number of benefits.
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to treat, diagnose, or cure any diseases.